Sign in to follow this  
MichaelR.

Rescue Projects

Rescue project: finish building an airplane that was started but never finished.

I'm just curious what everyone has hanging around in the shop that needs a flash of inspiration to get back on the board again. Anyone's building board. 

I've found a few kits in the "started" phase and the projects are sometimes more exciting than had I gotten them NIB. Most recently I finished an Astron 40 that came with a personal backstory I'm now proudly a part of. The satisfaction is more doubled. I've now got a SIG Somethin' Extra, which is cool, but I don't know who owned it last and why the project stalled. It's going to make a great fun-fly model but without that personal connection, I'm having a hard time jumping into it.

Anyone else have this problem?

Astron40 B.jpg

Hi Mike, Congratulations on the Astron 40. I've seen it fly and the coolness factor is impressive!

I agree about the personal connection link to motivation. I bought a 2003 Proctor kit 1/4 scale Fokker D-VII from Tom Griffith, originally built by Fred Kouka. Between my own inept flying and some weak points in construction, it occupies prime space on my project bench most of the year. I'm gradually replacing rigging, struts, undercarriage and upgrading hardware throughout. The unusual V-twin four stoke engine is awkwardly inaccessible and the fuselage is a fragile spiderweb of wooden dowels that appears ready to explode on any significant impact. The newer Balsa USA kits with slab sides and simplified wing ribs are probably much more rugged and easy to work on.

But when pilots walk up and admire the museum like construction details and comment on the four stroke twin's exhaust note, it is very gratifying. I feel more like I'm a custodian of a work of art then a toy flying hobbyist. I guess that keeps me from putting the plane on the shelf and building the NIBs I've got sitting around. I inherited a framed up and ready to cover J3 Cub from the fellow who introduced me to the hobby. It's sitting at our place in Sarasota waiting for me to complete. When it leaves the ground for the first time, I definitely feel that Bruce's spirit will be in the plane.

Happy Landings, Mike Trautman

Flying01.thumb.jpg.339a0634ad515d5218b2535ebaeb0436.jpg

Fokker01s.jpg.caa563d87f644cac5f29efe67b0a308e.jpg

I think every time I fly I bring home a rescue project or 2. 

In all seriousness though as far as true rescue projects go the Sweet N Low I have is a rescue, it and a couple others were bought at a flea market and while the SnL is done and flying I have been working on a Stinger that was bought with it, total recover and redo. It's been an on and off project for me cuz of managing to keep all the others flying finding time to work on it is tough.

Here is the link to the Stinger project I have