Sign in to follow this  
Mike Trautman

Fiberglass

I'm duplicating a cowl for a Funtana 90 in fiberglass. I have documented the process with photos and descriptions in a "Word" document, and thought I would post it here. I haven't see a way to upload attachments/documents to the forum yet unless it's the "Insert Other Media" box. Is this possible? I probably missed something somewhere. Please educate me?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Mike Trautman
      Sugru -
      This is an interesting new “Moldable Glue”. Firm consistency, holds its shape pretty well. 30 minutes working time. Full set in 24 hours. Result is a hard rubber like part.
      I had a broken cowling mount on my giant scale P-47. There was enough structure left to establish the position of the part, but I needed to replace a portion of the part with complex curves and precise angulations. Cutting and fitting a wooden part would have been tedious and time consuming.
      The Sugru is the same light grey as the firewall. The new piece had an “L” shaped leg agains the firewall and replaces the missing piece. It's bonded to the bottom of the old support. It seems to be well bonded and strong enough.
      I know it's hard to believe I could make a construction mistake, but somehow while replacing the wing mounting bracket (it was a rough season) on my P-47, I misaligned the 1/4” nylon bolt holes. After I realigned the holes, the bolt heads did not fit flush. With a little (green this time) Sugru I was able to seat wooden collars flush with the bolt heads. Instant strain relief, for the bolts, (and the builder).
      I can see many other possible used for this material. Someone said you can buy it at Target. I bought mine from Amazon.
      Happy landings!
      Mike Trautman