Grandview Burial Notice

In order to maintain good relations with Grandview Cemetery directly to the west of the flying field, there is to be no model flying at the CCRCC model air park during funerals that are taking place with the exception of SMALL, LOW SPEED electric powered aircraft. These small aircraft must remain within the bounds of the field.  I will do my best to keep this page up to date with notices I receive, but the list posted at the clubhouse should be checked before flying for more current updates.

Friday 1/18/19 - 11 AM

Saturday 1/19/19 - 1 PM

Saturday 1/19/19 - 2 PM

Stop flying 15 minutes before the burial time. If possible, visually check 45 minutes after burial starts to insure it is actually over.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike Trautman

Electronic Ignitions

I would like to start a discussion topic on electronic  ignitions. I am relatively new to the subject, but have already experienced some issues and problems that I can share with the group. I hope others will chime in with their own, tips and hints too.

1. Symptom: Gradual loss of power and RPM over a five minute period with increased missing and finally quitting at any attempt to throttle above an idle. I've never given much thought to the ignition battery, basically assuming that it draws little current and that the voltage is not critical. But this was bench running a new engine with an old battery that hadn't been charged in a long time. After checking for fuel flow/blockage and throttle function, I decided the ignition battery might just be low. Sure enough, after connecting a fully charged battery, the engine "runs like new".

The takeaway: Gradual loss of power may be a result of a low ignition battery. Ignition batteries deserve the same respect and care as flight batteries.

• Like 1

Symptom: Erratic "twitching" of control surfaces, increasing with lower engine RPM. This problem persisted for half a season on my Hobbistar / Evolution 15cc gas plane. I had two severe crashes and multiple scary episodes. After replacing radios, servos, optical switches, moving components to various positions in the plane and generally changing out everything except the engine, I discovered that the three wire servo style connector between the ignition sensor on the engine and the CDI unit was just a little bit loose. I had shrink wrapped it, but I thought I detected just a little movement, possible even internal to the connector. I used metal fishing leader crimp tubes to connect the individual wires. Problem solved and the plane has been a reliable trainer ever since.

Takeaway: A solid connection between the ignition sensor and the CDI module is critical.

Symptom: Erratic "twitching" of control surfaces, increasing with higher engine RPM. My giant scale P 47 originally flew with a Fuji 42cc gas engine. It suffered major control surface twitching and full throw locking until I removed the optical kill switch and isolated all the electrical components I could. The spark plug lead on that engine is unshielded. Replacing the engine with a DEL 55cc engine (shielded plug lead) solved the problem.

Takeaway: Unshielded plug leads can be problematic with nearby components, like optical switches.

Questions: Are CDI / plug lead components critically matched to their respective engines? Could I have just swapped out another ignition system and solved the problem?

• Like 1