Sign in to follow this  
JShumate

Bad servo symptoms

Other than a servo just not working, what are some ways you can tell a servo is bad?

I have 2 recently with weird issues and no longer use them,

The first was Hobbico brand (stock to the Electrostik)(the plane had been crashed, dunno if the servo was the cause, I don't think it was but rather the symptom may be the result of the crash), and when the servo would return to center once it was about 5-6 degrees from center it would stop and slowly go to center. So I replaced it with a Tactic TSX10 micro servo,

That said one of the 3 Tactic servos I ordered would go past center before it would stop (Tower replaced it no charge, and all other Tactic servos I have do not have this issue). 

SO while they technically worked, they would not due for flying (perhaps in an rc car or something they might be ok, doubt it though).

If you know of symptoms for bad servos post it, or if you know a fix to something someone posted please let us know. :)

Edited by JShumate

Hi Jeremy.

I don't know of any particular symptoms to look for to see if a servo is "bad" (or not suitable for using in a plane), but anything out of the ordinary and don't use it...buzzing when not under a load, any "chattering" or erratic movements, not returning to center (given some degree of tolerance depending on the quality of servo - a less-expensive, bushed servo may not center as well as an expensive, digital, ball bearing servo), the servo getting warm, anything unusual and don't chance it.

If a servo is suspect, I'll grab the servo wheel or arm and move the servo with my radio to see how it behaves. This isn't scientific, you have to use your own judgement.

I've used Tactic TSX20 or TSX25 servos in several recent projects at work and all seem to perform well. They're a nice little bargain servo that is a good replacement for a standard-size servo in like a .25 - .40-size plane. Now that I think of it, we used them and recommend them for the Kaos .60 ARF.

Tim

I have Tactic TSX47 in my Sweet N Low, they work without issue, I think they are a great servo, dunno about using them in a giant scale 3D plane though but anything else I would trust them. Tower as always is awesome in taking care of their product and replacing anything found to be bad. Mistakes happen in any factory so the bad servo IMO is not common for Tactic. 

I have Hitec servos in my Hangar Carden Extra 300 and they chatter all the time, I was told this is normal, you are saying this is not how they should be?

Hi Jeremy.

Now that I think of it, I hesitate to comment on the characteristics/behavior of another manufacturer's servos (being that, by default I represent Futaba since I work for Hobbico). If Hitec says chattering in their servos is normal I am not in a position to argue with that. 

I do know that some digital servos at least "hum" or buzz while in neutral (no load being placed on them other than the weight of the surfaces).

Tim

I respect your position on commenting about Hitec, they were in the plane when I got it and I can't say I would have bought them if I were having to get servos for that plane, I know for smaller/less demainding planes I like using the Tactic's for price, also like Futaba. For more high end planes I really haven't had to decide on anything yet as both mt 300's already had decent servos in them. My god though Futaba is so expensive when jumping from a sport servo to high end, that's the only hang up for me when the time comes to throw down some serious bucks for servos and I know some could say you get what you pay for, I also know there is many quality servos to be had depending on what someone is looking to get out of them. 

Back to the subject though, I haven't looked to see what Hitec says about them, I got the info about the buzzing from a couple different people from the field who use Hitec's.